When your child receives a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes (T1D), it can be an overwhelming time. As you navigate this challenging period of adjustment to life with T1D, you can find helpful information and support through the JDRF Bag of Hope®. The JDRF Bag of Hope is filled with useful resources for both the child who has been diagnosed with T1D and his or her caregivers. Along with educational materials, we’ve included a special friend — Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes® — to show your child he or she is not alone while learning to take shots and test blood sugar.
Resources in your JDRF Bag of Hope include (but are not limited to):
- Rufus the Bear with Diabetes
- “Rufus Comes Home” book
- “Pink Panther: A First Book for Understanding Diabetes”
- JDRF materials with educational video links
- “Calorie King” book
- Novo Nordisk/JDRF educational book series inserts
- Alcohol prepping swabs provided by Walgreens
- Informational postcard about the support Lilly Diabetes offers families with a bookmark
- Lilly Diabetes literature on severe hypoglycemia management
- Glucagon Demo Kit provide by Lilly Diabetes
- Voucher for free blood glucose meter provided by Ascensia
- Discount coupon for a stylish medical ID bracelet by Hope Paige Designs for your child
- Babysitter Guide provided by Omnipod®
- Pod Demo Kit provided by Omnipod®
- Omnipod® literature on insulin delivery options
Only available for children (16 and under) who reside in the United States. Live outside the US?
Thank You to Our Sponsors
The JDRF Bag of Hope Program is made possible by generous funding provided by Co-Presenting Sponsors: Novo Nordisk, Quest Diagnostics, and Walgreens, and by Supporting Sponsors: Ascensia, Insulet, Lilly Diabetes, and Hope Paige Designs.
Was this helpful?
Get personal support
T1D Connections Program
All JDRF Outreach Volunteers not only have personal experience living with T1D, they are carefully selected by JDRF and given ongoing training to help provide you the very best support. Learn More.