When your child receives a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes (T1D), it can be an overwhelming time. As you navigate this challenging period of adjustment to life with T1D, you can find helpful information and support through the JDRF Bag of Hope®. The JDRF Bag of Hope is filled with useful resources for both the child who has been diagnosed with T1D and his or her caregivers. Along with educational materials, we’ve included a special friend — Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes® — to show your child he or she is not alone while learning to take shots and test blood sugar.
Resources in your JDRF Bag of Hope include (but are not limited to):
- Rufus the Bear with Diabetes
- “Rufus Comes Home” book
- “Pink Panther: A First Book for Understanding Diabetes”
- JDRF materials with educational video links
- “CalorieKing” book
- ACCU-CHEK® Aviva Connect blood glucose meter
- Information about Novo Nordisk/JDRF educational book series
- Novo Nordisk adjustable measuring scoop
- Informational postcard about the support Lilly Diabetes offers families with a bookmark
- Lilly Diabetes literature on severe hypoglycemia management
- Discount coupon for a stylish medical ID bracelet by Hope Paige Designs for your child
- Babysitter Guide provided by Omnipod®
- Glucose tabs in an Omnipod® tin
- “My Trip to Quest Diagnostics” coloring and activity book
The JDRF Bag of Hope Program is made possible by generous funding provided by Co-Presenting Sponsors: Roche and Quest Diagnostics, and Supporting Sponsors: Insulet, Lilly Diabetes, Novo Nordisk and Hope Paige Designs.
Was this helpful?
Get personal support
T1D Connections Program
All JDRF Outreach Volunteers not only have personal experience living with T1D, they are carefully selected by JDRF and given ongoing training to help provide you the very best support. Learn More.