Skip to toolbar

Teen School Trip to Japan

My T1D daughter is headed to Japan at the end of March for 12 days. Concerned about carb counting while there. Any advice?

• hello @CharBaby, I travel a lot for work. Carb counting at restaurants is the hardest thing. Restaurants can pack 100 grams into something that wouldn’t ordinarily have any carbs. It might be a good time to check in with a CDE for some carb estimating strategies (plate method, for example)

the strategy I use is to get into the habit of testing at 2 hours after a meal. If you test at +2 hours, and you took enough insulin, your blood sugar should be no higher then 50mg/dl above your pre meal number. example, you test before a meal=120, then eat, then test 2 hours later and your bs should be about 180. Higher than that means you’ll need to take a walk or more insulin, lower means watch out for a low.

bring lots of extra testing supplies (2x what you really need) and at least a little extra of everything else. Japan is pretty built up so it’s not like she’ll be isolated or in a 3rd world area. hope she has a good trip.

• I use the calorie king booklet for carb counting assistance. If your daughter will have internet access (on her phone, perhaps), she could use their website (http://www.calorieking.com). It might not help with every dish, but will at least give her a good starting point for her estimates. Reviewing some of the measurements (what a cup of rice or an ounce of noodles looks like) before leaving might be a good idea, too. For example, I’m pretty sure 1 cup is about the size of a fist.

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active