Skip to toolbar

Why on MDI?

Hi all. I thought I’d try to get this new group going by starting a thread…

If people feel like sharing, why are you on MDI and not a pump?

I have a localized allergy to my insulin injections. So, on a pump, when I didn’t move the location for 3 days, the hives became large and painful. So, here I am in the MDI group! (:

• Hi!

I’m a mom who has a 6 yr. old daughter with type 1, just diagnosed 6 months ago. We r still injecting because we are still pretty new to all of this. However, we have our first pattern management class in Oct. We r in the process of “pumping” with the Omnipod.

• Tessa,

Welcome to Juvenation! Send me a message if you have any questions (about the site or getting familiar with Type 1…).

I hope the omnipod works well for your daughter. I’d imagine not having any tubing would be great for an active child!

• i love my needles. after trying the pump, i’m happy with continuing my shots instead. way more freedom than the pump. i remember people saying you didn’t have to carry around all your stuff with the pump..but i did because my sites came out so much! the supplies i had to carry were more of a pain/took up more room than my bag of needles and insulin vials!

=)

• I’ve been on MDI since 1983 when I was diagnosed. I draw up my insulin, put the supplies away until my next shot, and there no strings attached.

I guess for me convenience is the reason I’m on MDI.

I’m not interested in being attached to a pump 24/7 at this point in my life. That’s not saying that I may or may not try it in the future.

• HI – 

I am actually answering as the “giver” of MDI’s rather than the recipient and here are some of the reasons we have chosen to remain on shots.   My son is 10 and a half, was dxed right before his third birthday.  He takes 5 shots a day– 7 am 3 units novolog 6 1/2 Levemir     lunch 3 novolog  dinner 3 novolog   7-8 pm 61/2 levemir.   His fast acting is sliding scale.

When my son was diagnosed seven years ago at the age of two, our endo was hesitant about begninnng pump therapy.  He has always had great A1C’s and has been very compliant on his shots.   He has also expressed very little discomfort from his shots.   As time went on, we noticed that he was very sensitive to his injections spots- he would get these knots on his skin and was pretty sensitive (sub q).   He is also very very lean.  So that combination made me fearful that his pump would cause reactions.   When Cameron was 6 we switched endos.  Our new endo is also of slender build and diabetic.   We discussed Cameron’s sensitivity and together realized that Cameron may have a limited “pumping” career.    I felt like saving his stomach or other pump sites for a time in his life (college) he was really going to need flexibility and freedom was the way to go.

I am sure this will cause a stir, but I really wanted him to be consciousness of what he was eating and how it would affect him and his BS.   I know that seems harsh – but in my head, he was going  to need to own the choices he made about his diet and i wanted him to learn to eat healthy and make good life choices.   I did not want him to bolus to cover putting whatever he wanted in his body.  

Finally, he is a very very active kid and swims from April to September.   His rate of activity in the summer is so great- that we sometimes do not do our lunch shot and he is fine.    His AICs are great and right now this is what works for him.   I also have always said that this is a decision that is his to make and if he wants to pump…. we will definitely look in to it.

michelle

• Hey Michelle,

It sounds like your son is doing very well. I’m sure it’s thanks to your support!

Based on your post, I wanted to add a suggestion. Being on MDI doesn’t mean he can’t do carb counting. I’m not sure why the endo still has him on a sliding scale, but you may want to ask about switching to carb counting at your next appt. It would let him eat at school parties, holiday dinners, etc where it can be hard to follow an exact meal plan. It would also give him a more “normal” daily life. I wish carb counting had existed when I was his age! Speaking as a person with D, I have to say — meal plans suck! 😛

• Hi Sarah-

thanks so much for your post…. i guess what we really do is carb count and then slide… based on this number of carbs (estimating 1 unit for 15 carbs) and factoring in expected exercise (or lack there of) we dose up if he is going to splurge (pizza/japanese hibachi etc)- he really does eat what he wants (or i guess that is my percecption).  I guess my point was he was never going to lay around on the couch and eat a bag of chips and then bolus to cover… none of my children would be allowed to do that…. 

it is really tough…. i just hope he is invested in healthy eating- who knows he may go to college and be like that kid who ate like 500 big macs…. let’s hope not…

great post!

• [quote user=”Michelle”]

it is really tough…. i just hope he is invested in healthy eating- who knows he may go to college and be like that kid who ate like 500 big macs…. let’s hope not…

[/quote]

Ha, ha. My now husband (then boyfriend) ate an entire large pizza at 11 pm once in college. When I acted disgusted, he said, “But, it was healthy because I also had a whole bag of baby carrots!” I think that IS a guy thing, but he quickly outgrew that type of thing after college…

• I’ve lived with Diabetes for 23 years now, started with the vials, then migrated over to Pens… love the flexibility. I’m sure when I plan to get pregnant, the pump will be a better choice, but hands down.. pen is very flexible and fits in a small make up bag along with my meter, strips, lancet pen and writing pen and self made log book. 😉

It psycological too.. guess the feeling of having something attached to me keeping me alive is a bit much for me. Then infecection and uggh, pen is good for me!

• I love my pens, too! They’re def more convenient.

Just a piece of advice (which I seem to be giving too much of on this thread, sorry!) — if you’re thinking about trying a pump for pregnancy, I’d do it well in advance. I’ve known people online who switched to a pump during, and it was tough will all the other changes going on. I know it took me a full 6 months to finally decide I needed to go off the pump, and then another month to get back to the right doses on MDI…

(Also, I was on lantus and humalog for my pregnancy, and i was fine…)

• Well thats awesome! Thanks for the response…. I really think that will happen to me, try and decide dont like it or not work well for me… but its good to know somone who has gone throught pregnancy using pens.. its a good relief!

• good for you on starting a group for us who shoot many times with insulin. i take humalog 3 times daily before meals and lantus once a day, a total of 4 times a day. it is needful but a bother sometimes. life is a little easier using pens now. but we are looking into getting an omnipod for me.

• Hi Sarah,

It’s been awhile since the original post….are you still interested in information? I have had diabetes for 27 years and was diagnosed with insulin allergy 2 years ago. I have shown symptoms for about 14 years. I would love to chat with you and others that believe they have an allergy to insulin. The diabetes research center I am working with is looking for more cases too if anyone is interested. Is there some way I can speak with individuals directly?

By the way, I have used the insulin pump, shots, and pens with this allergy. I react to all of them. I have quite the story regarding MDIs during pregnancy. During my second pregnancy, my allergic reactions were so bad I had to go off the pump. I tried doing standard MDIs and still reacted terribly. So I then limited each injection to 5 units and spread them around. I barely managed with this and I was a patchwork of welts and bruises! It was tough. Allergies can get progressively worse, as mine has since 2002. Certain conditions like pregnancy can make them much worse too. Let me know if you’d like to chat!

• I am on MDI after diagnosis 6 months ago. Not sure I want to switch to the pump as my control is good. I am prone to some local reactions and allergic to a lot of adhesives etc, so am a bit wary to have an attachment. I may hold out for stem cell transplant!

• Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active