Skip to toolbar

Eggs and Blood Sugar

I don’t eat eggs too often, but I noticed that whenever I do eat eggs, my blood sugar shoots up from 120 to over 300 within 15-30 minutes. My dad talked to his dietician, and she said that it shouldn’t happen, because eggs are a protein, and proteins don’t bread down to sugar. It has to break down to something that makes my blood sugar go up. A while back, I saw a nutritionist, and she told me the same thing. She actually told me if I have a bag of peanuts, I don’t need to take any insulin at all. I looked at a bag of Planters Peanuts, and it says in 2 oz. of peanuts, there are 10 carbs. So, I should take a shot for that, but for eggs, there are only 0.3 carbs per egg. Barely anything. So, why do eggs make my blood sugar shoot up so fast and is there anything I can do to prevent my blood sugar from going high?

• hi @mattieboy92,

type 1 is a bit of a science experiment, yeah? there are many strange things we observe in our dealing with it that could cause controversy and other disagreement when compared to the universal averages of everybody.

everything, and I mean everything, except maybe water, breaks down to sugar to be used as fuel for our internal bio engine. so the “it’s only protein” thing is, in my opinion, not correct.

I am only assuming you had eggs for breakfast. in the “normals” it is common for the body to throw out glucose from the liver in the morning to help us wake up. you could have a touch of that extra liver sugar response based on the content of your breakfast. just a thought. look up “dawn effect” (or “phenomena”) and “somogyi” for some interesting reading on your body’s rebounds and reactions.

for me, it is not important what the carb count is on the side of the box. It’s not written in stone that I need a unit for 12 grams of carbs. For some kinds of foods at certain times and in certain combinations, I may need 5 units for the same 12 grams, or I may need one. Whatever it is-it is, and the goal is good blood sugar control. If you need a few units with eggs: well then, give yourself a few units for eggs. good luck and don’t get discouraged! I have taught myself how to eat ice cream and pizza when I want to. cheers!

• I would echo Joe’s theory, that it’s actually dawn phenomenon that’s causing this. My pump is set to give me more insulin during the early morning hours starting at about 3am, even higher from 6am to 8am. Then it starts going back down to normal.

• Hi,
    I agree with the others who posted about the dawn phenomenon but I do have something to add. I have learned that there are almost no foods that are “free” I have to take some insulin for almost anything I eat. I began a low carb, high protein diet about 3 years ago and I thought I would take significantly less bolus insulin and boy was I wrong! Bolusing for protein is explained in the book “Think Like a Pancreas” and I found it to be very true for me. If I eat no carbs with protein I count half the grams of protein as carbs and bolus that way. There are certain things that make it rise higher/faster etc.. and maybe eggs are that food for you. @joe is right, it is trial and error and T1D is very personal and is different for each person and sometimes each day/week. My suggestion would be to read up on the effect of protein on blood sugar it might help you out a lot! I too have taught myself how to eat things I want to have and I currently have the best blood sugar control I’ve had in years!

• Hi. I have the same problem. I found out why when I read an article in Diabetic Connect about a study of proteins & fats effect of blood sugar. Here is the website & article. It really helped me understand why for 14 years I have been calculating incorrectly. I also read that caffeine makes the liver excrete glucagon. There goes morning coffee or ice tea at a restaurant. Hope this help clear a few things up. More than Carbs: Fat and Protein May Also Affect After-Meal Blood Sugar Levels
    http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-information-articles/general/1929-more-than-carbs-fat-and-protein-may-also-affect-after-meal-blood-sugar-levels

• I have a similar problem with milk. If I drink one glass of milk when my blood sugar is normal or a little low, my blood sugar shoots up to 300-400 an hour later. I asked my nutritionist this, and she told me that every type 1 is different, but that each one has some food that makes their bodies react this way. So you could say you’re unique…like everyone else! ;}

• This does not happen to me with eggs, but it does with meat. I know it seems strange, but I started taking an extra .5 units of insulin added to whatever carbs I dose for. I have had type 1 for 56 years and have found that the rules are general, but diabetes is as individual as each person that has it. My suggestion is this. Talk to your diatician for advise, but make adjustments for the particular differences. Always let them know what you are doing and why. and make changes SLOWLY.

• My guess is a food sensitivity.

• @MaddieBoy92 Thanks for bringing this up. My T1 daughter has the exact same response with eggs. We can feed her oatmeal or any other type of nutritious meal for breakfast and have great lunchtime readings… But throw some eggs in there or make and omelette and she will easily be in the high 200’s or low 300’s. It’s so consistent that we try to avoid giving her eggs at this point.

@Nstroh Thanks for tip on the book “Think Like A Pancreas” and for sharing your experience on a low carb, high protein diet. I always experiment with my daughter’s diet and was tossing around the idea of trying the low carb, high protein diet, but will continue do my research first. Your book recommendations will help me focus on relevant reading material.

Also, I was inspired by the documentary “Forks Over Knives” and purchased both the book and cookbook and found them to be very insightful. I find it very interesting that steel cut oats help stabilize my daughter’s blood sugar throughout the day, when that is supposedly so carb heavy. But something low carb like eggs can make her numbers go crazy for the day. So there’s definitely something to it.

• Steel cut oats are amazing on my blood sugar too- I have to take less then I would for any other carb in the morning and helps to smooth BS out through lunch. So interesting about eggs- never heard of eggs being an issue but everyone has unique sensitivities w their blood sugars. I take insulin for coffee as well as steak or heavy protein portions.

• Oatmeal is the best breakfast my 15yo daughter can eat. It regulates her BS no matter what her activity level that day.

• Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active