Skip to toolbar

Science Topic

Hey y’all!
I’m involved in an advanced science program at my school, in which each student picks a different research topic and spends the semester working on a project about that topic. We’ve got a super advanced lab with lots of amazing equipment, so the possibilities are basically limitless.
I’d like to do my project on something related to T1D, but it’s surprisingly difficult to think of exactly what I should research. I have several months to complete the project, but only a few weeks to decide… aaah!
Has anyone here ever done or wanted to do a science project relating to T1D? Does anyone have any topic ideas? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. (I’ll be posting this in several different forums in the hopes of getting some responses, so don’t get mad at me if it feels like I’m spamming y’all with this message. I’m kinda desperate for ideas.)
Thanks so much in advance! 🙂

• When I was in high school I did my junior year research paper on complication of diabetes, but it was just research–nothing to do with any science experiments. Maybe you could do something in that direction?

• How about the effects of abuse/treatment on test strips? Cold, heat, storage in moist or dry conditions. Carrying some in the meter case without the container etc?

• Related to sneathbupp, you can also look at how cutting strips in half could effect blood glucose results.

You could also look at the effect different foods have on blood sugars — pizza vs. veggies vs. other foods? Or

• I wouldn’t recommend doing anything quantitative like measuring effects of different foods on BG, as there are so many variables it would be tough to get any significant info.

I think something like effects on test strips in different environments is a great idea. Could also do shelf life of insulin in different temperature and environments, though that would require someone taking insulin and measuring effects–not great.

• 1. Continuous Glucose Monitoring is a fantastic new technology for type ones. Maybe do something like comparing accuracy of different insertion sites. There are lots of published studies out there for background information. You might be able to get product samples from your area Medtronic or Dexcom representatives. There could be a hiccup when it comes to using humans for subjects but it would be interesting.
    2. Replicate a study on the accuracy of fingerstick blood glucose sampling vs alternate site testing. Maybe compare how soon you see blood glucose normalization when treating for hypoglycemia with the different techniques. Why is it recommended to use fingersticks rather than alternate sites when treating hypoglycemia? Studies exist that you could replicate.
    3. Correlate A1c results and frequency of blood glucose testing. You would have to do some kind of poll along with a review of literature.
    Good luck!

• One idea on my mind. It feels like many of us using CGM use a sensor for more than one week. If you could arrange to get a few dozen people to send you their readings for week one, two and three it would be interesting to see if there is a falloff in accuracy. Dexcom may supply, users may supply or allow you to “follow” and then the data would come directly to you.

My feeling is that week one and two work great but then in week three I get random ups and downs that I am assuming are because the sensor, under my skin, gets clogged in some form or fashion.

• Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active