Skip to toolbar

Panic Attacks/CBD

I’m 23 and have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 12. I started getting horrible panic attacks about a year ago. At first I thought my sugars were just low and would just drink a juice (I never used to check my sugar). The more I started taking care of my diabetes the worse the panic attacks got. My doctor put me on Lexapro (didn’t help), then I tried prozac (also didn’t help). The panic attacks are so bad I fear doing normal daily things such as going to the grocery store, mall, job interviews, etc. I’m not sure what else to do and how to stop them. My mom suggested trying CBD oil.I was wondering if anyone else has tried CBD to calm their anxiety and panic attacks. I’m willing to try anything at this point to stop them. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do/take to help?

• hi @ashleyuhl27, sorry to hear about the anxiety attacks. I started having issues with anxiety a while back, no where near as severe as you describe, but the little ones did feel like a bad low and the big ones many times felt like I thought I couldn’t breathe or that I would die. big or small , they stink.

I found out there may be endocrine issues to make sure to rule out, such as Adrenalin/kidney/whatever. I worked with my endo first and we checked possible actual issues, when they were ruled out I went into therapy. I have no experience with oils, sorry.

I cut caffeine, cut alcohol, added exercise and went to therapy for a long while. it improved but it took work. hope you can find relief!

• Hi Ashley,

I’m really sorry to hear about your struggles with anxiety and panic attacks. Unfortunately, I have had many, many years of experience with this. I currently take Lexapro daily and Klonopin as needed (when I feel especially anxious or a panic attack coming on). And I always check my sugar when I start feeling panicky because as you know a low blood sugar and a panic attack feel remarkable similar. I’ve also been in therapy for a long time and it has helped tremendously. For me, a lot of my panic around being diabetic came from feelings of vulnerability and being “helpless” when my blood sugar drops, which of course I am not. It also had to do with me being comfortable advocating for myself- excusing myself to check my sugar or deal with a high or low. Sometimes this means putting your needs ahead of others or being slightly disruptive. The more comfortable I’ve become with those things, the less anxiety I have.

I also use CBD, but it’s effects are more subtle. It would probably help but it is not a stand alone remedy.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active