Skip to toolbar

Coping is hard to do (STILL)

My daughter who is now 11 yrs old was diagnosed about 17 months ago with T1D. She was 9. And I know we have come a very long way, from being a multiple daily injector, to getting a CGM to now her pump, from stares, glares, tears, highs-lows, all types of emotions it’s endless!!! Through it all, we as a family have grown together, we have allowed ourselves to “feel” because we know this is a “part” of her now- but diabetes is NOT her! Right? But sometimes-sometimes during those moments when I can’t figure out why her body just doesn’t want to cooperate and after a few breaths, and her behavior shows her glucose has defiantly plummeted- the stares and whispers still get to me. Diabetes disrupts everything!!!! All she wanted to do was jump rope with her peers. the juice didn’t bring her up quick enough, nor did the second, at that point it was close enough to lunch it was just time eat… its hard when “I”/ “you” know what is right for your child (eat child, please) but then when she starts refuse check her BG around strangers and your briebing your kid to eat anything at this point. It sort of sends a mixed signal to people who have no idea what is really going on. Then behold a emotional breakdown comes… frustration builds to the top when onlookers judge. “Coping” is still hard to do… and I am not always sure if I handle it in a positive way. But is T1D in any way a beautiful thing?

• An illness is never a beautiful thing. How you grow together and persevere through it, therein lies the beauty.

• I’m really happy to hear that your daughter and you and your family are making progress. You have come a looooooong way and have probably gone through the most difficult part of managing T1 – your words tell me that you have begun to accept that she has a lifelong “friend”.

Those stares and glares of strangers who don’t understand will never be something of the past, but accept then and do what NEEDS to be done; hopefully your daughter will also be able to ignore those who “don’t know” and that she will lead the life she want to have and not let diabetes hold her back.

Tell her that I give her a BIG thumbs up and a “great going”!

• Thank you for your words, they mean so much to me! I do think we have come along ways- but at times managing gets the best of us. There is no break in between. That is the tough part. some days she can handle the states better than others, but days when all she wants to do is be “normal” it gets her down. I can feel it and it just breaks me down. Even the strongest structures need repair now to remain standing tall. Thank you for listening I feel better already!

• I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles, just know you are not alone. It’s often exhausting for everyone in the family. I hate to use the word lucky, but we are “lucky” in that my husband is also T1D so from when my daughter was diagnosed at 4, she knew she was not alone. We have recently gotten more involved with our local JDRF chapter and she has loved it, being around other T1D kids has been such a blessing.

• Hang in there mom! That’s a huge responsibility…and also on your daughter too.
    I HATE the staring aspect. One time…some girl lingered longer in the bathroom
    just to spy on what I was doing with my injections. She made me SO nervous, I
    dropped and spilled all my test strips.
    I’ve been T1D for about two years now and it doesn’t get better, but it will get
    “easier”.
    We are all here for each other!

• Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

User Groups

@

Not recently active