Skip to toolbar

Class, Groups/Clubs

Hello everyone. I recently am back in college and just had a bad time with my diabetes but I’m noticing that my college has no clubs or groups regarding diabetes. I recently just spoke to my class with what I was dealing with and they were astonished. Hearing about me going into near ketoacidosis, counting carbs or what they were putting into their bodies. It was interesting though with one question my class had the week before. The question was this, “rewarding yourself with your favorite comfort food after a hard day can contribute to poor eating habits…true or false?” I was shocked when all my class said false and there is me saying true. I was right but as a diabetic hearing my class say that, it just goes to show how college students who are just out of high school aren’t thinking. I know right now I’ve been around 22.8 and 28.7’s and dropping like crazy at night but rising to those numbers throughout the day but I limit myself with carbs when I get that high. Then I look over in class after my discussion and there are a few classmates of mine with ice capps from Tim Horton’s. I’m just not knowing why even on a volunteer day, knowing there are events in this city, that not even Canadian Diabetes Association or JDRF are ever mentioned. That also gets me into this question, why isn’t there more of this involvement in colleges when only the accessible bathrooms for students and faculty have a sharps container. I honestly hate college I mean I love my program and everything but just the lack of awareness bugs me. If I could get a club together it still wouldn’t get that awareness out there. Do any of your colleges have groups or clubs or similar situations with your college?

• My college doesn’t have any but our local JDRF is always doing something and they do their walk on our campus. Honestly I was also thinking of starting a diabetes group on campus and you really won’t know what it’ll do or where it’ll go until you start. One thing I noticed that bugs me is that there is a lack of healthy options on our campuses

• I can totally agree with you on needing more healthy options on campus. My campus introduced Smoke’s Poutinerie this year and it bugs me how much I see it being used over the healthier options the college provides. Sure we have the salad station and sushi bar but the rest is Tim Horton’s, stir fry station, deep fried food, among a few. There is nothing though my campus does with JDRF or anything diabetes related at all. So your campus is lucky in that sense.

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active