Skip to toolbar

GLUCOWATCH TECHNOLOGY AND THE I-WATCH

Has anyone heard I anyone is trying to take the old technology of the glucowatch and apply the concept to the new I-watch then adding to that a lazer sampling technology that could be used to read sugar levels from inside bloodvessels in the wrist similar to taking reading with the finger clamp currently used at the doctors to measure oxygen levels. This concept seems plausible being non intrusive, and requires no usable item since it is no invasive to the skin such as needles or test strips and could be used to download info right into the I-phone. Just and idea and I see many technologies out their that if combined to then improve on accuracy of the reading levels. I had interest several years ago in medical device creations, but did not pursue. If someone is in a position of development, I have some very interesting thought of usable creations with the technology available today. your can contact me at dtsmith251@aol.com if you have questions or would like to discuss issued with type 1 diabetes. I have had a very difficult time with testing over the years and have suffered the loss of 1 eye due to my lack of care. I have just obtained an IPhone and am looking to take control with the use of technology. I have waited since 1978 for the cure, but I also think there are groups and institutions in place that are preventing the cure for type one from being created. Imagine the loss of jobs and financial loss if the cure for diabetes or any other medical condition requiring maintenance prescriptions was known. Anyways, contact me with your thoughts.

• hi @DTSMITH251,

if I remember, there was a bit of activity in the non-invasive “LASER” readers but I believe that was many years ago. Glucowatch (even older) was a failure due to inaccuracy and the very high rate of adverse skin reactions (and discomfort) it caused.

the reflective LASER also had problems with accuracy and interference, but I lost track of any new work over the years. If I remember correctly, you needed blood vessels that were almost exposed, meaning “under the skin” might not be effective. The one that I though had promise was a set of goggles, reading the blood vessels in your eve. retina blood vessels might be a opportunity, of course, you’d have to spend millions to “prove” that your LASER posed no adverse reactions… and since we are prone to eye disease… that might be a huge trick – but – that’s the way the FDA works, you’d have to also prove accuracy, which is a separate issue and could cost an equal amount of money. Medical device manufacturing is a big money arena.

interface with Iwatch should be very easy, since the watch supports communications protocols, you could transmit sensor data from any conceivable sensor, or even from an implantable sensor and have it communicate with the iwatch.

anyway, I am a bit of a gizmologist as well, 25+ years experience in design (controls and pharma manufacturing). nice to meet you, good luck!

• I think the old Glucowatch technology was a precursor to the modern CGM. Have you looked into that through Minimed or Dexcom?

There is also a company called Glucosense that is trying to develop laser blood glucose monitoring as well. http://www.glucosense.net/

• The apple Watch reads the BG from the IPhone.so you need the phone handy. I use them but also still have the Dexcom receiver for my G5 sensor. There is a new app for the apple watch which sends the BG directly to the watch face, That is free and call watchSugar. You still need the G5 mobile app on the phone and the follow app.

• Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active