Skip to toolbar

T1D and High Blood Pressure

Anyone else dealing with high or borderline-high blood pressure? I am 37 and T1D for 10 years, I’ve had 3 successful pregnancies in that time and I think my blood pressure has always run a bit on the higher side (like around 125/84, even during pregnancy). Honestly, it’s probably just related to the fact that I’m a little high strung and I stress about things easily…the stress doesn’t feel unmanageable, it’s just a fact of how I operate. Sometimes I feel a tightness in my chest when I’m anxious, but I can make it go away by doing some calming exercise or going for a run. I’m not overweight, I exercise several times a week (I just ran my first half marathon), and I eat a fairly healthy diet – so it’s not any of those factors. Recently my endo mentioned studies that show that diabetics can benefit from taking blood pressure lowering meds, even if they are only in the pre-hypertension range like I am. Basically the fact that I am diabetic already puts me in a higher risk category for heart disease and he wants to treat it before it becomes a problem. He didn’t put me on the meds at my last visit because I was training for the half marathon and he didn’t want to risk dizziness or fainting while we figure out the right dose, but I know he will bring it up at my next appointment. Has anyone else had these conversations with their doc? Anyone else on blood pressure lowering meds? Any side effects? I am so hesitant to go on yet another med…I can’t even give you a clear reason why…I just don’t want to unless it’s really needed. I am only 37 and I take such good care of myself! My last A1C was 6.3%!! It just seems so unfair!!!

• @candace,

I hear what you are saying about a healthy life style but your BP may be creeping up; I too live an active lifestyle and “eat Healthy”, My wife sees to that.

About 20 years ago, after having diabetes for 40 years the endo strongly recommended that I use an alpha-blocker medication to lower my BP to its current 124/60. There is a side effect, a very GOOD side effect – an alpha inhibitor has very positive effect on kidney function, something very important for PWD.

Weigh this with whatever else your endo offers.

• Dennis, thanks so much for sharing your experience! I am glad to hear from someone with a positive experience with the medication. I am trying to keep an open mind and this helps!

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active