Skip to toolbar

Is Cholesterol Meds necessary for Type 1

To those who recommended statins to keep the LDL low, I don’t think you read this question very well; they are low. My endocrinologist keeps pushing them too, though my numbers ARE below 70 as I am a plant-based whole-foods vegan, (sorry, diet DOES help!!) However, she is also Type 1 and over 40, and told me she doesn’t take them “yet” either. Also, I have a sister who has a PhD in biochemistry and does research for a pharmacology company, and recommended I NOT take them unless my numbers are actually bad, and I can’t improve them with diet.

Statin use is GREAT for drug companies. Taking additional medications that I don’t really, really need makes me want to give up.

PS I’ve been Type 1 for 28 years.

• I’m now 51. I’ve been on a statin for about 10 years. I also take a lisinopril to maintain kidney health. I recently asked my doc if I could go off the statin, and he reminded me that a diabetic has the same chance of a heart attack as someone who has already had one.

• <strongHi folks, thought I’d give you an update to my question about cholesterol meds. I spoke to my Endo about it the next time I went in for my A1C and she agreed there was no need for me to go on meds yet. I found a new PCP because the previous one was giving me such greif over going against his recommendation. Got my results back for my annual physical and bloodwork. My total cholesterol this time around was even better than last years. My good cholesterol did drop to 61but my bad cholesterol also dropped to 51. No mention of cholesterol meds from this new PCP. I’m very happy I stuck to my guns. I will enjoy it while it lasts.

• Cholesterol is NOT a problem, the whole idea is based on fraud. When Dr. Ansel Keyes (a nutritionist BTW) “established” the “theory” (which it still is) that cholesterol is a problem leading to heart disease he went to great pains to “prove” it. He went all over the world looking for places that had people that fit his theory, while going past MOST areas that disproved it. For instance 1 of his selected areas was in Italy, but he totally ignored Franc, right next door to it, where people eat a very high saturated fat diet and have the lowest incidence of heart disease…….
    Furthermore our brains are 60% fat, much of which is cholesterol, and it’s also the feedstock for many of our hormones, which are made from cholesterol as the building blocks for Progesterone, DHEA, Testosterone, Estrogen. So you want to reduce cholesterol so you will have too little of these and be healthy?
    Also note that the entire model this is based on is wrong from the start. Cholesterol is our blood vessels ONLY defense against inflammation in the artery walls. It sticks on inflamed areas to try to keep them from erupting under stress, which floods the artery with scar tissue and THAT causes a heart attack. In other words you need to avoid and control inflammation, NOT cholesterol.
    Statins are a gold mine for drug companies! Once started people continue using them for the rest of their lives and never question it. There are some 200 bad side effects from statins, so WHY do we take them?

• Cholesterol is NOT a problem, the whole idea is based on fraud. When Dr. Ansel Keyes (a nutritionist BTW) “established” the “theory” (which it still is) that cholesterol is a problem leading to heart disease he went to great pains to “prove” it. He went all over the world looking for places that had people that fit his theory, while going past MOST areas that disproved it. For instance 1 of his selected areas was in Italy, but he totally ignored Franc, right next door to it, where people eat a very high saturated fat diet and have the lowest incidence of heart disease…….
    Furthermore our brains are 60% fat, much of which is cholesterol, and it’s also the feedstock for many of our hormones, which are made from cholesterol as the building blocks for Progesterone, DHEA, Testosterone, Estrogen. So you want to reduce cholesterol so you will have too little of these and be healthy?
    Also note that the entire model this is based on is wrong from the start. Cholesterol is our blood vessels ONLY defense against inflammation in the artery walls. It sticks on inflamed areas to try to keep them from erupting under stress, which floods the artery with scar tissue and THAT causes a heart attack. In other words you need to avoid and control inflammation, NOT cholesterol.
    Statins are a gold mine for drug companies! Once started people continue using them for the rest of their lives and never question it. There are some 200 bad side effects from statins, so WHY do we take them?

• Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

Join this group to participate in the forum and connect with others in the T1D community.

Register Login

User Groups

@

Not recently active